Critical Myth

Television has become the medium of today's modern mythology, delivering the exploits of icons and archetypes to the masses. Names like Mulder, Scully, Kirk, Spock, and Buffy have become legend. This blog is a compilation of the reviews written about the tales of our modern day heroes.

Name:
Location: NJ

Friday, May 19, 2006

2006 Upfronts: Part V (and wrap-up)

And finally, the X-Factor in the fall schedule and the one with the biggest questions: the CW network. There were actually very few surprises on my end; I didn’t expect “Invasion” to be picked up, based on cost, and everything else I wanted is there. I know the word is that many of my shows are “22 with the option of 13” in terms of renewal, but I’m optimistic! The following is the schedule released by the network on 18 May 2006:

THE CWs 2006-2007 PRIMETIME SCHEDULE
MONDAY
8:00-9:00 PM 7TH HEAVEN

9:00-10:00 PM RUNAWAY (New Series)
TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM GILMORE GIRLS

9:00-10:00 PM VERONICA MARS
WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM AMERICAS NEXT TOP MODEL

9:00-10:00 PM ONE TREE HILL
THURSDAY
8:00-9:00 PM SMALLVILLE

9:00-10:00 PM SUPERNATURAL
FRIDAY
8:00-10:00 PM FRIDAY NIGHT SMACKDOWN!
SUNDAY
7:00-7:30 PM EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS

7:30-8:00 PM ALL OF US
8:00-8:30 PM GIRLFRIENDS
8:30-9:00 PM THE GAME (New Series)
9:00-10:00 PM AMERICAS NEXT TOP MODEL (Encore Presentation)

MONDAYS

Like so many of the “24”-esque shows out there, “Runaway” sounds interesting, but I have no compelling desire to comment on it. And the beginning of the week is loaded with this type of show. I doubt I’ll be paying much attention to any of them.

TUESDAYS

“Veronica Mars” is part of my “record it and watch it in bulk” collection, but it might become appointment viewing, if I can get the other half more interested in it. No promises, people, but I could be compelled to discuss this in the podcast.

WEDNESDAYS

This is the night for “Lost”. CW holds no interest for me in this timeslot. But when “Beauty and the Geek” comes back in the early slot, it’s on my TiVo!

THURSDAYS

But it certainly has my attention this night! This is where the dual-tuner TiVo comes in handy. I’ll be capturing “Smallville” and “Supernatural” in the capsule reviews again this season (and happily so). Those complaining about “Supernatural” being up against “Grey’s Anatomy” should remember one thing: it was up against “The OC” and “CSI” of late and did just fine.

FRIDAYS/SATURDAYS/SUNDAYS

Needless to say, this adds nothing to my already barren list of network weekend fare!

So…here’s the wrap-up based on the CW upfronts: I’ll be following four shows to one degree or another. “Smallville” and “Supernatural” will get the capsule reviews, and “Veronica Mars” may get commentary on the podcast, if I get the chance to catch-up on the series in the meantime. That brings the grand total for 2006-2007 (including SFC shows) to 2 full written reviews, 9 capsule written reviews, and 3 podcast only:

FALL SCHEDULE

Full reviews:
Lost
24

Capsule reviews:
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Battlestar: Galactica
Ghost Hunters
Prison Break
Smallville
Supernatural
Studio 60 (new)
Heroes (new)


Podcast only:
Medium
Jericho (new)
Veronica Mars (“new”)

Believe it or not, that’s not as much as I started with last season. 3 series ended early last season (“Threshold”, “Night Stalker”, and “Reunion”). All in all, I was generating 3 full written reviews and 13 capsule reviews. Even accounting for the new shows, I’ll be down to 11 written reviews, most of which are capsule reviews. That’s a nice reduction (~33% less), especially since I reserve the right to move any show getting capsule reviews onto the podcast instead, if time becomes a factor.


***

So, as a final wrap-up of my response to the 2006 upfronts, here’s how the next year or so will be panning out. I can’t be more specific since SFC is notorious for messing with the schedule, but it’s going to be a good summer to establish a pattern between the written reviews and the podcasts:

SUMMER SCHEDULE

Capsule Reviews:
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
4400
Dead Zone

Podcast only:
Assorted SFC fare, weekly round-ups, and some DVD-related commentary


FALL SCHEDULE

Full reviews:
Lost
24

Capsule reviews:
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Battlestar: Galactica
Ghost Hunters
Prison Break
Smallville
Supernatural
Studio 60 (new)
Heroes (new)


Podcast only:
Medium
Jericho (new)
Veronica Mars (“new”)
Assorted SFC and action-series fare and weekly round-ups

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home